Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Half empty

The man who does repairs for us at home likes my wife because she is always so positive. He knows I am from New York City and assumes that, by definition, I must be negative

"I am," I agreed. "It's part of my nature. The glass is always half empty."

"Don't you remind her that you are from New York?"

"Every day, but it doesn't work. She reminds me that I am a psychologist and should know better."

"I have a good friend from New York," he explained. He is one of the most sarcastic people I have ever met."

"You know, people complain that Parisians don't like Americans. When I went to France I decided to use my high school French exclusively. I spoke a kind of pig French, substituting English only when I didn't know the word in French. People laughed at me and were quite friendly. I don't think Parisians are any different from New Yorkers. But I am not sarcastic at all."

"Why not?"

I don't want to adulterarte my negativism. I am negative straight up."

No comments:

Post a Comment