Saturday, January 25, 2014




                                                                  Plots

I  will one day rest close by Jim Croce,
Perhaps ten yards away.
Not a robust claim to fame, you see,
Based solely upon where you lay.
But on some eternal scale of life,
I wind up better off than he.


While country music is like an uncle,
I  prefer Simon and Garfunkel.
And Denver, Baez, Peter, Paul and Mary,
(Though Dillon’s rasp is somewhat scary.)
 Seeger and Nelson, give me fevers,
With New Christie Minstrals and the Weavers.
 Croce mostly lets me down,
Except for Big, Bad Leroy Brown.

They all wept for young Jim Croce
His plane went down before his time.
Perhaps I would have learned to love him
Had he survived to reach his prime.

Is he now with Puff the Dragon,
Enjoying his own Mountain High?
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind
Above Louisiana sky.

Will he be there to sing me sweetly
When I have reached my time to lie?
Will he be there to comfort me
Beneath a  Pennsylvania sky?

No comments:

Post a Comment