Tuesday, November 15, 2011

On participating at meetings

My boss at Elwyn, Gerald Clark, President, would often send me in his place to meetings, where I was to persuade the group to act in a way he wished. He could have ordered them to do so but it would be more powerful if the group came to the decision on their own. His advice, which I have used ever since at meetings if I wanted to influence the outcome, has proven to be extremely powerful. This is what he told me:

"Let everyone have their say. Don't say a word; just keep your trap shut. After they have all expressed an opinion they will become aware of your silence and look to you for advice. Tell them precisely what they must do and why. The chances are they will do as you recommend."

It has never failed. If I so desire, I can own a meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment