Tuesday, November 15, 2011

On writing reports

Jim Diggpory, my doctoral dissertation supervisor, was dissatisfied with the long sentences in my dissertation draft. He wrote on the first page, "Marvin, there is no substitute for a simple declaritive sentence." I took that to heart. Gerald Clark, President of Elwyn also wanted brief, concise reports when I served as his assistant. "If you can't say it on one page," he lectured me, "it's not worth saying at all. "I took that to heart as well. I think poetry is often the very best writing (epigrams, Haiku, and the like). No one could beat Robert Frost for eloquence and economy of words.

Several years ago I left retirement to return to work part time for Interboro School District. They need psychological evaluations. I had spent many years doing psych reports and I knew what I was doing. But in Pensylvania the Department of Education dictates how reports should be written. Their cumbersome, redundant guidlines violate every rule of good writing. I refused to comply and wrote many reports the way I thought they should be written. "I'll be gone anyway before they catch up with me," I told the school psychologists I was working with. "No one wants to read twenty page reports." Several years after leaving Interboro for another school district, where I do not do psychologicals, I learned that the present Director of Pupil Services at Interboro was highly displeased with my old reports. When this was gleefully relayed to me I told the true story of being asked to paint a room by my new wife. I made a mess of the job and was relieved of my assignment after I stepped in the bucket of paint. She never asked me to paint again. So it is with psychologicals.

No comments:

Post a Comment